Friday, July 24, 2026

‘What to Make of a Life’ Review: Encoded for Success

The Wall Street Journal, July 23, 2026

by Theodore Kinni




In 1995, a year after co-writing a bestselling book on the habits of great companies, Jim Collins left the faculty of Stanford’s business school to found his own management lab. Over the course of his work, Mr. Collins became interested in how people create engaging lives for themselves. He shares his findings in “What to Make of a Life.”

The book examines luminaries in matched pairs from the worlds of music (Jimmy Page and Robert Plant), writing (Toni Morrison and Barbara W. Tuchman), politics (Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford) and more. Why such well-known people? Because “that’s where the data is,” Mr. Collins writes. He recounts his subjects’ accomplishments with an eye to exploring three questions that many of us have asked at some point. How do I find a path that is right for me? What do I do when my current path ends? How do I stay engaged over a lifetime? Read the rest here.

No comments: